29.9.10

Girth Hurts

"Have you encountered any ignorant people today?", my sister asks me over the phone. I say with a chuckle, "No, not yet." She was referring a conversation we had earlier in the morning. I was telling her of yet another MBTD who had an issue with how I looked. This time it was from behind, at least that's what he said, between listening to me letting him know I'm old enough and him asking for my ID just to make sure. His eyes just couldn't adjust to the age that he knew in his mind made sense, based on my response to...
MBTD2: "Excuse me miss (talking to my friend), but you can not take her up there."
My Friend: "Oh?", as she turns around confused.
Me: (Interjecting for alleviation's sake) "It's ok, I can... I'm old enough", as i reach for my purse.
MBTD2: "Well, I need to see ID to be sure.

Of course, I show it and am able to keep going towards the elevator to the rooftop bar/lounge. With my friend in tow I assure her that it's okay and I'm used to it. She couldn't get her head around the fact that I was approached (she was actually on initial encounter!) in that way. I just shrugged it off... until this morning.
My sister's perspective was that most likely it had to do with the fact that I do not possess a large or even medium amount of body fat or 'diameter'. Since my friend is about 2-3 inches taller than me, this was the only reasonable explanation my sis could give regarding the conclusion of my age by reading me from behind, as the MBTD2 had. I'm always getting mistaken for someone's little sister/cousin/daughter when walking beside someone almost equivalent to me in verticalness. I told my sis that I refuse to make myself out of shape or even frumpy just so I'm not accosted due to my aesthetics. She's told me on more than one occasion that, "A little make up wouldn't hurt." I say to her that it doesn't seem to help much either since with make up on, I'm looked upon as a teenager who is trying too hard to seem "grown". It helps a little, but not in the way that I want it to. Some would say, "It's better than being mistaken for a 7-9 year old." Yes, but either way I have to explain myself. At least with seeming younger than a teen, the startling factor is much more and thus attention paid. if I wore the guise of a teen, I'd be looked as a juvenile with an attitude problem. We all can recall instances of 'being put back in our place' after 'coming out of our faces' as adolescents. Who would want that all over again!? Surely not me.

No comments: