23.10.10

freedumb of speech

people say the most perplexing, idiotic and sickening things to me whether my stature be a direct topic or not.

when i'm not being verbally assaulted directly it comes to me indirectly anyway. like when the guy in the coffee shop asks to use my table's charger for his laptop while he is squatting in front of where i'm seated. i'm not a child, i'm on your level without you kneeling to mine. matter of fact, if i see adults to this do children older than 2, i cringe. the same goes to those people that talk to kids in unnecessary high pitched voices; much like when the lady in the mall gives me the bag to store my items while schreeching, "here you go sweety." i respond with a low toned almost grunted "thanks".

when i am the direct matter of conversation most times a bulk of the talk winds up being one-sided. for instance, i am on my way to a late night shindig in the city on the train and this guy approaches me. i think to myself, "uh oh pedophile alert"(i could feel him looking at me funny for a while). he gets closer to me and utters a question of my age. i look at him like he is stupid (don't believe that adage that there's no such thing as a stupid question). he immediately back tracks from his question and apologizes to me profusely while letting me know his original question would've been worse because he was gonna ask where my mother was. REALLY?! it's so sad that this dude was really serious with his stance.

a little after this on my way to another train i get yet another strange encounter with a guy. he gives my his number on a piece of brown paper bag and exclaims that he couldn't resist because i was too adorable. i'm not into meeting new people like that. as if that would be the best compliment i've received in a while and i would be so grateful i'd call him. or i just seem approachable because i wouldn't immediately be classified as a physical threat. i don't appreciate adorable -- ever. i wish not to be worshipped.

speaking of worship... i also am not enthusiastic about using my body to puff up someone else's reputation either. i meet a fellow performing artist who says i should be his Hype Chick (he had liked the way i got really into MJB the dj spun after the show). yea, this did come from an angle of being funny, but dude was supposed to be a rapper not a comedian the last time i heard him spit from a mic. the audacity was apparent as this was the first time i even met him at all. although i'm sure he didn't even intend on audaciousness; he just figured he could get away with saying whatever. and he wondered why later on i refused to freestyle at the table. my inaction spoke a strict, "f u, pay me." we both wound up saying nothing of true substance to one another at that meeting.

Moral: watch what you say, instead of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shared gripes:
hate adults stooping in front children and the high pitch voices most of all!

being deemed "adorable" (read absentee partnering, absentee realistic appreciation and real love, paternalism etc)...reminds me of Chrisette Michele's Porcelain Doll song...